If you're a lefty or a righty it doesn't matter, the steps will be the same. Grab your knitting needle and yarn!
Some questions I'll address in this video post:
- what size yarn and needles should I use?
- how many stitches do I need to cast on?
- how long should my tail / short end be?
Here are a few keywords you'll want to know:
- short end - yarn end that does not lead to a ball of yarn, also known as a tail
- ball end - yarn end that leads directly to your ball of yarn
- slip knot - a knot made with a loop that moves easily along your needle
To recap, when learning how to cast on:
- you will need a knitting needle and a ball of yarn
- check your pattern for yarn size and needle requirements (its important to use the correct yarn and needle size to achieve the right gauge for your pattern)
- your pattern will also tell you how many stitches you need to cast on
- your tail / short end should be roughly 1" for every stitch you need to cast on plus an additional 12" (for example: if you need to cast on 20 stitches you will need 20"+12", that's 32")
So that's it! It's that easy! How did you do? Let us know by leaving a comment below or on twitter @tinselmint. Be sure to follow our YouTube channel for more videos on how to knit.